Monday, May 23, 2011

Day 20 – Paper Batiking

I love the look of batik fabric, but when I heard about this technique, I admit I was skeptical. But hey, when you’re doing 365 different craft projects you need to be willing to try new things.

Evidence of Batiking has been found as far back as the Sui Dynasty in 581 AD China. Its wide spread use is probably the result of trading thought Asia and the middle east. Of course, it was the Germans who first created mass produced batik fabrics[1].

LeeAnn and I began by using crayons to color on a page of construction paper. I had to keep asking her to draw more and press harder. She seems to have reached a stage in her work where shapes are more important than pressure.

The paper crumpling was fun for her, so I let her crumple up my work as well. LeeAnn then was allowed to paint over both drawings which I then rinsed off and ironed. This project, though it worked, is definitely better for older children. Toddlers work is not consistent enough to work well with this technique.

How to Dry Flowers with Silica Beads
Supplies
Construction paper
Crayons
Tempera paints
A large paint brush
Water
An Iron
Newspaper

Instructions
-          On a sheet of construction paper, draw a picture with crayons using a heavy hand. The crayon drawing should be dark!



-          Crumple up the sheet of paper into a tight ball and gently unfold and flatten. Notice the cracks in the paper and drawing!
-          Using a contrasting color, paint the entire sheet over with tempera paint.
-          Gently rinse the paint of under running water.
-          Using a hot iron, cover the drawing with newspaper and iron the drawing until dry.




[1] http://www.batikguild.org.uk/history.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment