Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day 13 – Clothes Pin Dolls

Today I wanted to make something that took me back to my childhood. As a kid we had these Christmas tree ornaments that my father had made out of clothes pins. Little figures, sailors, wiremen, kings, queens, and other dolls with tiny detailed faces looking down at me from the tree; I loved them. Then other day while at the book store I found a kit for kids to make an easier version, so I thought why not.

Once again these are credited German invention, did all the toys come from there? But clothes pin dolls are a folk toy that children made I’m sure long before the Germans marketed them. 

Our theme for our dolls was near and dear to LeeAnn’s heart, fairies and princesses. We began by picking out our pins and gluing on the sticker faces provided. This is much easier for a young child to do than painting the small face as is traditional. We only worked on three pins; I saved the other five for when I have time to paint them.  From there things got rather boring for LeeAnn. The Clothing was difficult, the kit did provide paper clothes, none of which LeeAnn or I, the perfectionist, liked. So I made our own (she watched). Next LeeAnn picked out the Hair, which I hot glued on. Then she picked out the wings and decorations, which I hot glued on. Then we played with them.

This is a better project for older children. I kind of knew it would be, but as I said nostalgia hit me and I wanted to give it a try.

How to Make Clothes Pin Dolls
Supplies:
Clothes Pins
Paints
Fine Paint Brushes
Yarn or Fuzz
Fabric
Fabric Flowers
Small Buttons or Gems
Hot glue gun

Instructions:
-          Start by painting the face with the fine paint brush.
-          Next glue on you clothing. I found it easiest to cut out the clothing, try it on, and then glue it. (Silk flower petals make great skirts)
-          Add Hair by gluing on either yarn or fuzz to the top of the head. (Our princess has an awake face on one side and an asleep face on the other so her hair is only on top.)
-          Finally add final touches, like jewelry, belts and shoes. Shoes are traditionally done by wrapping yarn around the end of the clothes pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment