Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day 16 Letter Writing

Day 16 – Writing Letters

The other day while checking the mail LeeAnn asked excitedly if she had gotten anything. Not many people write to a three year old, but what if she writes to them? So today we are writing, and I use the term loosely, letters. The art of letter writing, or snail mail, has mostly been forgotten in this age of electronics, but for young children it is still magical and exciting.

I miss letters; there is an intimacy to them that you cannot get from any other form of communication. The history I find most moving and touching is always based on the letters left behind by those of the past, like the letter George Washington wrote to his niece (a good book to check out if you like history). It is a shame that the voice that would tell the most compelling stories are often left without a voice, such as slaves, most nomadic tribes and pre-modern man.

Anyway, for LeeAnn’s letters, I brought out my collection of unused stationary (although I love letters, my handwriting is awful so I don’t write them often). I helped her choose paper for each addressee and write their name at the top of each page. She was then allowed to color a picture on each page. We tried to use the recipient’s favorite color, and we talked about that person while she colored. I asked what she wanted to say to them and wrote a few lines, making sure we did not write on the picture and helped her sign her name. We then chose a sticker or two that fit each individual’s personality and put it on the page. Finally LeeAnn folded the paper, sometimes she needed some guidance, and we put it in an addressed envelope. She put on the stamps and threw them in the box. I’ve warned my sister to make sure her cousins send some mail back.



This was a fun project for her. We got to practice our letters and work on her communication skills while ‘writing’ the letters, as well as use up some of my lonely stationary. In a little while, when LeeAnn ask if she got any mail today, I can hand her a letter too!

No comments:

Post a Comment